What first comes to your mind when you think of career websites? Well, many people think about endless lists of various job offers with majority of those offers being irrelevant and totally meaningless for them. This leads to people getting frustrated and not having a single idea of how to use such websites. In this article, we present Top 10 tips and tricks of how to make the most of any career website.
1. Register yourself. With extreme exceptions registration is free of charge and you get to use all the benefits which unregistered users don’t have access to. Keep in mind that a job agency only looks after its’ registered users, so make it easier for them to reach you.
2. Polish your resume. Employers surf through potential employee’s database daily. If they stumble upon your resume, they want to see it flawless. By flawless, we don’t necessarily mean years of impressive professional experience or breathtaking achievements, but rather clean design, absence of spelling mistakes and clear yet comprehensive information about your past and present.
3. Subscribe to a newsletter. While other companies usually use newsletters in order to sell you something, career websites use newsletters in order to inform you. Some go as far as personalizing it and providing targeted information to different groups of job seekers. This is really handy and you don’t even need to move a finger to get some useful information.
4. Surf through career website’s article section. This is the place were hidden treasures lie. In this section, specialists give professional advice on how to write an eye-catching resume, how to build a motivational letter that stands out from the crowd and many other hot topics for every job seeker.
5. Ask for a personal consultation. If you are a registered user, you have the right to meet with a career advisor who will do his best to get to know you better, improve your resume and share his insights on how you can improve your chances of finding a job that is best suited for you. When you are looking for a job, this is a great way to gather useful information and boost your morale.
6. Ask for a personal consultation – right before the job interview with a potential employer. A career advisor will do his best to prepare you for a job interview so that you can feel confident and ready to move mountains!
7. Subscribe to specific job offers directly to your email. Professional career websites offer a possibility to subscribe only to job offers from the field that you are specifically interested in. Therefore, you won’t be bothered with job offers that are not relevant for you.
8. Stay in touch with your career advisor. Maintaining healthy relations goes a long way. Give your career advisor a call every once in a while and let him know that you are waiting for your dream job.
9. Take part in special events. Occasionally, career websites and their partners organize job fairs or similar events. Do not miss your chance if you are invited to participate. Such events are perfect for socializing as well as getting more personal contact with the employer of your dreams.
10. “Like” a career website’s Facebook page. Facebook is a place where various companies try to form close relationship with their fans and career websites is not an exception. Look for useful articles, unique job offers or simply some mind-blowing motivational videos!
How To Make The Most Of A Career Website: Top 10 Tips And Tricks
6/3/2013 written by Resume.lt